Monday, August 15, 2011

"I Threw a Kiss in the Ocean" A WWII Navy Man's Beloved Song

I met a former WWII navy man at the Pillars of Honor program (http://www.pillarsofhonor.org/) held yesterday at the Schaumburg Public Library. My husband, John, and I had opened the program with period tunes and afterwards, this man, Mr. Terrberry, who had served on a ship called the USS Enterprise, wanted to speak with me. He could recall only a few lines from a Kate Smith song whose title he'd completely forgotten. When he tried to relate a few of these lyrics, he suddenly broke down in tears. He had been thoroughly enjoying the program, laughing, and smiling all the way through but he couldn't get these lyrics out.

Here's your song, Mr. Terrberry. Ship Ahoy, Sailor Boy!



No comments:

Post a Comment