Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The POW Diary of John Teune: The Crew is Dead

The Teune brothers in their Army Air Corps uniforms. John is second from right.


I received a visit from the soldier who carried me when I first landed. He was injured in a car collision. He gave me a gift of cheese. Also received a visit from the medical doctor and the officer who took me from the Germans. He promised me a picture which he took as I lay on the field. I was told several times that the others on the crew were killed. Three came down in parachutes close to me but were dead when they reached the ground. My conscience bothered me because I knew I had not given an alarm for Bail Out although I realize now it would have been of no value if I had run the bell even had I time to do so. I feel bad about the boys and can't believe they are dead. We had several more raids and I saw the bombers come over and through heavy flak. Not so good on the receiving end.

No comments:

Post a Comment